fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

Adding Voices to the Mix

Legion - Brandon Sanderson

For various reasons I'm mostly sticking to e-novellas and short stories at the moment.  It's definitely been leading to a lot of interesting places -- like this story!  I don't know, there's definitely something that really grabs me about stories where what seems to be mental illness turns out to be a boon and/or something more than it seems.  Lindskold did it with Brother to Dragons, Companions to Owls and Friedman has This Alien Shore.  There are many more, but those are the first two that pop into my head.

In Legion, the protagonist hallucinates other people -- and he knows they are hallucinations -- who live with him and interact with him (47 to be exact).  They all turn out to be experts of one sort or another.  For this particular adventure he ends up bring along a psychologist, an interpreter, a Navy SEAL, and a historian, as well as a real life client who is paying him to track down a scientist who ran off with a world-changing device.

I really enjoyed the story and wished that there were a sequel already -- perhaps a full length novel!  A search of the author's website reveals that there may be a tv show that grows from this.  A tv studio is already playing around with it. (this could definitely be a great show if it has the roght folks attached to it!)

The main character feels a lot like a Heinlein character to me, though the hallucinations have a lot more personality.

I've also noticed that even in what feels more like a thrill ride of a story, Sanderson really seems to be able to inject some deeper thought into the plot.  He's definitely a skilled writer.