fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

The End is Nigh

Fire & Ash  - Jonathan Maberry

Here it is!  At last!  The final book in the Rot and Ruin series!

Over and goodreads I rated the rest of the series five stars -- I definitely recommend reading it.  Wait, so why is this one three and half stars?  Well, like I said in the previous post, maybe I was just having a bad reading week?  I'm not sure.  But here's what I felt about the book:

1)  It knew it was the last book for sure.  There were many pages where every word Means Important Stuff.  The messages that just existed in the prior books seemed shoveled on here.

2)  The Joe Ledger character.  I knew I had to look him up because you could just tell he was from another series -- and he is.  He was one of the major shovelers of Important Stuff, too.

3)  The religious cult hadn't quite sold itself to me in book three -- it worked less so in this book.  Especially the leader's reaction to certain events.

4)  The romance issues popping up... again.  I don't generally care much about the romance aspects, but I got tired of this one doing the on again off again bit, being layered with the we need to be more mature, etc.  Perhaps part of my problem is that so much happens in the series that it doesn't feel like it was just a year of in book time.

5)  The ridiculousness of the military.  Also, we get the first unattractive woman in the series, far as I remember, here.  So I guess it isn't only beautiful women who escape the apocalypse (a criticism I had in an earlier book).  She is, of course, not one of the heroes.

Now, it's definitely worth reading the book.  I just don't think it was as great as the predecessors.  It end the series well and ties up all loose ends in a series that could have continued if the author wanted it to.