fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

A Little Extra Time

The Secret Hour (Midnighters #1) - Scott Westerfeld

This was a fun little read about a group of teenagers who wake up during a mysterious 25th hour of the day that other people don't experience.  Westerfeld creates both beautiful and creepy scenes in this strange, blue-lit, mostly frozen time.  I couldn't help but be amused by some of the creatures that inhabit the hidden hour, however...  (the furry snake things really required a scarier description...  I kept picturing them more like those fuzzy worm toys you get as a kid where if you run your finger along them they curl)

I approcahed the book with some wariness because the skeleton of the plot sounds a whole lot like a game I played and loved (Persona 3).  Luckily, most of the commonalities are superficial.

At any rate, the action is good, the characters are interesting -- if a little under developed, and the mythology is interesting.  The mythology and the descriptions of the frozen hour are the strengths of the book.

On the other hand, a friend of mine points out that the desccription of Bixby, OK sounds more like someplace in east Oklahoma rather than west Oklahoma and I can say from my degree work that Westerfeld's archaeology information is...  sketchy at best.  I've not been to Bixby myself, but I have been all over Oklahoma so I'm pretty sure my friend is right.  The eastern side just isn't near as flat as other parts of the state...

I've already downloaded book two to my Kindle and will read it as one of the next few books on my list.  This book had a good ending point, so I don't feel like I must read book two right away, but I am eager to find out what happens next.