fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

Clever Circus

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

I don't think I'm going to say too much about this one.  It's been done again and again and pretty much everyone I know seems to love it.

Me, well, I just never really connected with the characters.  I got the closest with Bailey, but I felt like the author's language just kept me at a distance.  I'm not entirely sure why when the language was similar to many other books -- heck Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell even had footnotes and I still cared about those characters (that is an excellent book, by the way).  I cared very little for the principal players in the game -- Marco and Celia -- or their romance.

The descriptions of the circus acts were beautiful in a vague way.  Things were described just enough that it seemed like the reader is told what they look like, but really most is left to the imagination.  That was pretty clever.  I guess, clever is my word to describe most of the book -- there are a lot of clever techniques going on with almost every aspect of the book.