fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

Land of the Lost

Everlost  - Neal Shusterman

I have been really lousy when it comes to posting about my books here, lately.  I blame it on school.  I'm doing the full time work and full time school deal, hoping to get my MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science) done by next May.  I'm even taking my comprehensive exam in a week and a half!  I figured I'd take it early to give myself a buffer...  So wish me luck. :)

At any rate, a friend commented about how I was at 999 rated books on Goodreads and that I should do something special when I rated book 1,000!  Okay, so maybe no balloons and parties, but I figured I should post about it here.  Homework can wait. :)

I like Goodreads because of the social for book lovers nature of it, but I don't care for much of the reviewing there...  Consequently, I tend to just do short reviews if I do any review there at all.

So...  Book 1,000.  Everlost.  I read this one because I enjoyed Neal Shusterman's Unwind pretty well and it just happened that he was speaking at a library conference I went to last week.  The plan was to read Everlost and listen to the Bruiser audiobook before I heard him talk.  I didn't manage to finish either before the conference, but I enjoyed both talks of his that I attended.  He was a phenomenal speaker and it was great fun to get previews of some of his upcoming books.  I am really looking forward to one called Challenger Deep...  But it doesn't come out until 2015. :(  It seems to be a surreal tale about a teenager dealing with mental illness.  He says part of it is based on his son.  That was a real tear jerker of a story (but his son is doing fine now).

I didn't enjoy Everlost as much as I liked Unwind and I wasn't sucked in as powerfully as I am to the Bruiser audiobook (three hours left!), but I did enjoy Everlost.  I guess, for me, there is something that feels very simplistic about the book and characters, despite the complex and fascinating world building.  So the world and the adventures kept me hooked in pretty well and since the characters are decent enough people, I was fairly interested in what happened to them.

I have always been particularly fond of ghost stories and this is a story that is basically all about ghosts.  In fact, after the first few pages, there are almost no living people in the story at all -- the protagonists die and get derailed on their way to the light.  They find themselves in a strange and dangerous world that overlays the land of the living.  They meet powerful others who try to guide them with their own agendas...  It's definitely a land of legends and strong personalities.

At any rate, this is the first book of a series.  I think you could read this and stop, if you wanted, but it definitely opened up the story for a more epic slant.  I'll definitely be reading the next book soon...  But not right away because I have Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon In Two sitting on my desk.  It takes precedence over everything else. ;)