fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

Slow Heat

The Cold Dish - Craig Johnson

This is a hard book for me to review.

On the one hand, it's a solid story with well crafted characters and perfect descriptions of Wyoming.  The Sheriff is both very small-town in personality and highly educated and his observations of the world show this.  Most of the people seem a lot more real than they do in other novels -- but the people who don't feel real, are pretty cliche or cardboard.

The mystery itself seemed more of the "let's journey with the detective" kind rather than the "let's see if you can solve this first" kind.  The killer was one of my main suspects pretty much from the get-go, but that had much more to do with the way stories tend to go than with clues found along the way.

The strong characterization in the book was both a pro and a con.  I like well rounded characters, but the way it was done here slowed the book down quite a bit for me.  This is a book to read slowly on the front porch, a few pages at a time, savoring the language and being in no hurry to reach the end -- which, for me, feels pretty strange in a mystery novel where there are four possible victims and they're going down one by one...