fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

Destiny?

Boundless - Cynthia Hand

I can't even remember why I picked up Unearthly in first place.  I probably unpacked it as a new book in the library and the shiny cover caught my eye.  I'd read plenty of books about vampires and werewolves and other supernatural critters -- even a series about a gargoyle and some selkies -- but I hadn't read one about angels yet.

It wasn't a long time later that I was sick of unpacking books about Nephilim...  But Unearthly came before that.  Sure, the series ends up having that ubiquitous love triangle that most young adult series seem to have now, but at least it wasn't the point of the books.  It was even handled pretty well half the time.

So what was the point?  Fate.  You find out right off that these folks with angel blood are given these vision fragments that they believe they've got to follow.  This puts them in line with some Divine Plan and the world runs smoothly and all that.

Obviously, doing this is a lot harder than it sounds and there're some nasty evil angel types that oppose all this.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's not a whole lot that earth shatteringly new in this series.  However -- it's executed very well in the first book, less well in the second, I hated the story that came after that, but Boundless (even though I almost didn't read this one because that interim story killed my excitement) wrapped things up very well.

It moves away from the problems of book two and brings things into a strangely personal epic scale.  Perhaps certain things were tied up a little too neatly -- especially after a mid-book bout of ridiculous cluelessness -- but sometimes an ending tied up with a bow is pretty satisfying.  And anyway, the whole things IS based on a big Plan.