fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

Trauma and Beauty

The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell

I’ve had to wait a bit before I finally decided to talk about The Sparrow because, quite frankly, the book left me feeling really traumatized.

So here’s what I’ve decided.  I DO recommend the book as a fantastically well written book with amazing characters, a fascinating alien culture, a fascinating Jesuit culture (it’s exotic to me, since I knew nothing about them), and an interesting plot.  You’ll just have to be in the mood to be really sad at the end.  For me, I literally – for a week or so – could not deal with books where anything particularly sad or violent happened.  Luckily, I’ve recovered because that pretty much covers most books – there usually has to be SOME sort of emotional or physical conflict to advance the plot, right?

You are told from pretty much page one that something awful happened.  I just naively assumed it was all a big mistake and everything would work out in a lovely way.  Please don’t make my mistake – maybe the end will not be as shocking for you, then.

Now, as for the book itself, I think the strongest component is the characters.  I, without reservations, loved the core cast.  These are people I would want to know and spend time with.  They’re people I wish wonderful futures for and think deserve great happiness and to have all their dreams come true.  Further, part of their amazingness is how they all work together.  They’re basically a perfect complement of human beings.

The next strongest component is the alien culture.  Mary Doria Russell was (is?) a biological anthropologist and you can see how her training and education helped her create this alien culture that is so fascinating and makes such interesting sense.  I want to know more about them!

I plan to read more of the author’s works because, not only was this so well written, but she is also an amazing speaker.  I saw her at the High Plains Library District’s ReadCon event in Greeley, Colorado and I have to say that if she is ever speaking nearby, you MUST go see her.  She was phenomenal. (in the talk I saw, she was primarily talking about her new Doc Holliday book)

I plan to read The Sparrow's sequel because I do want to know what happens to the characters and the culture…  But I also hope I’m not eating my words when I say the worst surely must be over and nothing that terrible can happen again…