fineplan

Scavenging Book Stores and Libraries

Currently I'm a librarian and before that I was an archaeologist, a journalist, and definitely a bit of a world traveler.  I tend to mostly read science fiction and fantasy, though I do love a good mystery and I'm a bit of a book dabbler overall. I've been doing Goodreads for awhile, but a friend thought I might enjoy this as well. Let's see, yeah?

A Sign of Good Things to Come

Omens - Kelley Armstrong

I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel -- I've read most of Armstrong's Women of the Otherwold books, as well as the teen spin-off series and enjoyed most of them.  I absolutely loved some of them.  The Otherworld is done with, now, and Omens is the start of a new series...

There were some negative reviews about it because of certain twists not meeting people's expectations.  I would say that sometimes you need to let your expectations go and enjoy the story.  I enjoyed the book immensely -- it was a fun ride, easy, with lots of interesting tidbits doled out along the way.  A whole lot isn't answered a whole lot is implied...  But this is just book one.  I'm eager to see what book two reveals.  I don't know how long the series is, but as long as we get a few answers each book it should continue to be excellent.

I did have a hard time following the author's instructions NOT to look up strange words...  But at leas I only checked out one.  ;)  I thought it was pretty neat that she starts off the book saying that you CAN look up the foreign words to get clues into what's going on (even without, I can figure out a lot, I think...) but that if you don't you'll be able to enjoy the mysterious atmosphere longer and that all will be explained in later books.  I decided that (mostly) I'll go for the mysterious atmosphere.

It's also important to not that there is a choose-your-own-adventure kind of app that is related to this storyline (set in the past) that offers other interesting hints about the mysteries.  It's also a pretty good story.

So, Omens: an enjoyable, easy read, high on atmosphere and hints of future awesomeness, characters who grow and are full of flaws that make them more relatable and real.  The main character is no pushover -- she is stubborn in that way that means she can accomplish a lot. It's refreshing to follow her through her story.  I couldn't help but root for her all the way.